Are you looking for the perfect homemade playdough recipe. Look no more.
This playdough recipe is simple and the results are fantastic; silky and smooth playdough.
If you are looking for a recipe that does not include cream of tartar, good luck. I have spent years looking for that elusive unicorn with no luck. If you find a recipe that does not include cream of tartar the results are not as ideal. The dough is either too crumbly, sticky or lumpy.
Keep your eyes out for when cream of tartar goes on sale in your local supermarket or buy it in bulk on Amazon. The extra cost is really worth it.
This recipe will make enough playdough for four medium sized balls or you can make large batches of a single color.
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup salt
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Food Coloring
- Add the flour, salt, and cream of tartar into a large saucepan.
- Add in the oil and water. Make sure that there are no lumps.
- If you will be doing one large batch add in your food coloring until you get the desired color intensity. If you will be doing a variety of colors leave the food coloring out.
- Place the large saucepan on medium heat and continually stir. You know it is done when it forms into a ball and pulls away from the sides of the saucepan.
- If you did not make a large batch, divide the dough into four equal pieces.
- Add a different color of food coloring to each piece.
- Kneed the dough to incorporate the food coloring.