“11 When he reached a certain place, he stopped for the night because the sun had set. Taking one of the stones there, he put it under his head and lay down to sleep. 12 He had a dream in which he saw a stairway resting on the earth, with its top reaching to heaven, and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it. 13 There above it stood the Lord, and he said: “I am the Lord, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac. I will give you and your descendants the land on which you are lying. 14 Your descendants will be like the dust of the earth, and you will spread out to the west and to the east, to the north and to the south. All peoples on earth will be blessed through you and your offspring. 15 I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.” Genesis 28:11-15
God kept His promises that He gave to Abraham. God kept His promises that He gave to Isaac. And here we see a reminder of the kept promises He gave to Jacob in a dream.
- Print the template. (Template)
- Color and cut out all of the pieces.
- Fold the long piece on the solid lines creating creases. This will be the staircase/ ladder.
- Glue the ground/earth piece to one side of the staircase piece.
- On the other side of the staircase glue on the clouds.
- Finally glue on the angels.
“As they were going along and talking, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire and horses of fire which separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind to heaven.” 2 Kings 2:11
I had a lot of fun coming up with this craft. It took quite a few tries to finally get the size of the chariot and flaming horse just right. I’m sure your kids will love making it. This craft is a great reminder of the story of Elijah being taken up to heaven in a flaming chariot.
Scripture mentions flaming horses, not just a horse, so if you like you can print an extra horse for every child.
You can also make the reins out of colored ribbon or yarn.
- Print the templates. This craft needs to be printed on cardstock. You can print it on regular paper, but you will then have to glue it onto construction paper. (Template)
- Color in all of the images.
- Cut out all of the pieces, including the spaces between the spokes of the wheel.
- For the flaming horse, after it is cut out, bend the solid lines making creases.
- Finish the horse by coloring in the blank flame on the horses mane. If you will be making two horses repeat steps 3-5 for the second horse.
- For the chariot bend the tabs on the platform of the chariot.
- Glue the platform to the main piece of the chariot (the curved rectangular piece). Start with the large back tabs. Then the smaller ones in front.
- Glue the flames to each side of the chariot.
- Glue on the small rectangular piece towards the bottom front of the chariot. Folding on the solid line and adding glue to the part marked with an x.
- Finally glue on the wheels to each side of the chariot.