plague of flies
Todays crafts are based on the fourth plague on Egypt, the plague of flies.
“Then the Lord did so. And there came great swarms of flies into the house of Pharaoh and the houses of his servants and the land was laid waste because of the swarms of flies in all the land of Egypt.” Exodus 8:24
Fly Straw Rocket
- Print and color template. (Template)
- Cut out each piece and glue them onto a piece of construction paper.
- Cut out both pieces from the construction paper.
- Glue the rim of both pieces together and stopping at the bottom of the wings. DO NOT add glue to the center of the pieces.
- Cut a straw into two pieces.
- When the fly is dry stick the straw inside the fly and blow up the fly. The air pressure will propel the fly forward.
Fly String Toy
- Print the template onto cardstock. (Template)
- Assemble the clothespin piece. (Disassemble the clothespin. Glue the two wooden pieces together. Glue the metal piece to the top. Finally glue a small item between the legs of the clothes pin, something to give it some weight. I used a metal screw.)
- Color and cut out both flies.
- Color the clothespin black.
- Glue a the flies to the clothespin. One on each side.
- Cut a piece of yarn or string to your desired length. Stick the string in the metal bracket on the top of the clothespin.
Hold one side of the string higher than the other and the fly will slide down the string. As it slides down the string it will sway side to side giving the illusion that it is flying.
- Print the template. (Template)
- Add glue to the pieces except the eyes and wings.
- Sprinkle coarse ground pepper on the glue. Tap any excess pepper off. (Use coarse ground pepper. DO NOT use the “fine powder” kind because your kids will be sneezing a lot.)
- Color in the eyes.
- When the pepper pieces dry, cut out all of the pieces.
- Assemble the fly by first gluing on the eyes. Next both wings and finally the top body piece.