water to blood
This craft is a great visual of the first plague in Egypt. Your kids will be able to see the water of the Nile River turn to blood for themselves.
“20 So Moses and Aaron did even as the Lord had commanded. And he lifted up the staff and struck the water that was in the Nile, in the sight of Pharaoh and in the sight of his servants, and all the water that was in the Nile was turned to blood. 21 The fish that were in the Nile died, and the Nile became foul, so that the Egyptians could not drink water from the Nile. And the blood was through all the land of Egypt.” Exodus 7:20-21
- Print the templates onto regular copy paper. Do not use cardstock. Print the main image on one side, then the river on the other side of the same paper. (Template)
- Lay one or two sheets of newspaper on your table.
- Have your kids color in the land, sand, pyramids, mountains and sky using markers.
- Next lightly color in the river with a blue color pencil.
- Trace the outline of the river with regular glue and allow the glue to dry.
- When the glue has dried fill in the river on the back with a red marker.
- In a small plastic container add about 1 teaspoon of regular cooking oil (vegetable, olive, canola).
- Using a small brush have your kids paint over the blue river with the oil. A little oil goes a long way. As the oil is absorbed by the paper the red marker will start to come through. The river will start to turn into “blood”.
- With a paper napkin wipe of any excess oil from the front and back of the paper.