Homemade Face Paint
Paint projects seem to end up the same way with young children, their faces and arms covered in paint. It becomes a full body experience.
Worse of all most store bought face paint contain lead and other dangerous toxic chemicals. This simple recipe will give you peace of mind that your kids can still have fun painting tiger faces and flowers, and will not be putting toxic chemicals on themselves.
Mix a full array of colors in an empty ice tray container and have an afternoon full of fun!
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon facial or body lotion
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon water
- Food coloring, a couple of drops
- Combine all the ingredients, except the food coloring in a small bowl. Start with 1/2 teaspoon of water and increase by 1/4 teaspoons until you get your desired consistency.
- Pour your mixture into one or two cubes of an empty ice tray. Depending on how many colors you want you will have to triple or quadruple the recipe.
- Finally add a few drops of different food coloring combinations to each cube. Mix with a small toothpick until fully blended.
Homemade Finger Paints
Buying finger paints at the store can get really expensive. They run out as soon as you buy them and worse of all you would not want your kiddos sticking their fingers in their mouths.
By no means is this recipe being promoted as edible, but you will not have to worry about your kids eating strange chemicals. So grab a piece of paper and a couple of little hands and have fun.
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups water
- food coloring
- Combine the ingredients, minus the food coloring, in a small saucepan and warm until the mixture thickens.
- Let it completely cool. If the paint comes out too thick thin it out with a little bit of water, until you get your desired consistency.
- Pour the mixture into airtight small containers (empty glass baby food jars are great for this).
- Add a few drops of food coloring to each container until you get your desired color.
Homemade Sidewalk Paint
You can always buy kids’ paint from the store, but where’s the fun in that? Here is a craft for the little ones to keep them occupied. It’s inexpensive, easy, and creative. Here’s the recipe if you want to give it a try.
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- food coloring
- Mix the cornstarch and the water.
- Pour the mixture into a cup cake tin, an equal amount in each cup.
- Next add in different food color to each cup and mix until smooth.
In case you are wandering, all you have to do it spray the sidewalk with the hose and it will come right off.
Homemade Watercolor Paint
Have you ever wanted to make your very own watercolor paint? Homemade watercolor paint comes together easily with a few simple ingredients. Making it is easy, the hard part is waiting for it to dry.
- 4 Tablespoons baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- food coloring
- In a mixing bowl, combine the baking soda and the white vinegar until it stops fizzing.
- Add the corn syrup and the cornstarch until you have a smooth consistency.
- Pour the mixture into individual egg carton cups, filling each about a third to halfway. You can also buy empty water color trays online.
- Add five to eight drops of food coloring to each cup, mixing it in thoroughly until you get the color you are looking for.
- Let the paint dry overnight.
You must be logged in to post a comment.