With this craft your kids will be able to act out the coin in the fish miracle.
“24 When they came to Capernaum, those who collected the two-drachma tax came to Peter and said, “Does your teacher not pay the two-drachma tax?” 25 He said, “Yes.” And when he came into the house, Jesus spoke to him first, saying, “What do you think, Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth collect customs or poll-tax, from their sons or from strangers?” 26 When Peter said, “From strangers,” Jesus said to him, “Then the sons are exempt. 27 However, so that we do not offend them, go to the sea and throw in a hook, and take the first fish that comes up; and when you open its mouth, you will find a shekel. Take that and give it to them for you and Me.” Matthew 17:24-27
- Print the template on card stock. (Template)
- Color and cut out all of the pieces.
- Glue the single hand onto the coin piece where it says “glue hand here.”
- Glue the arm piece onto the bottom of the fish, so it looks as if the arm is holding the fish.
- Carefully cut the two thin slits on the fish.
- Weave the coin piece through the two slits.
Your kids can now use the second hand to pull the coin our of the fishes mouth.
Jesus did many miracles while on earth. One that is generally not talked a lot about was telling Peter to open a fish’s mouth and having him find a coin inside. This would be a great story to do for your children’s ministry.
- Print out the template. (Template)
- Color in the coin.
- Cut out a triangular shape from a paper plate. The triangular piece will be used as the fin.
- Cut out the scale, the coin and the eye.
- Use the scale as a template and trace it onto different colored construction paper.
- Cut out the scales from the construction paper.
- Glue the scales onto the fish in a random or specific order. Use your imagination; you can get amazing color combinations.
- Glue scales onto the fin in the same order as the body of the fish.
- Cut off any excess scales from the rim of the paper plate and fin.
- Glue the fin to the body.
- Finally glue the eye and the gold coin to the fish.